Monday, July 22, 2013

Basic Skirt Variation 2: Rosie Skirt

 

After my last skirt I was ready to jump on this one hoping it would be a much better experience, and this one did not disappoint. I did have a couple of bumps but nothing like my last skirt. So the second variation on the basic skirt is called the Rosie. 

Description from DIY Clothes "This one's a sturdy little workwear-inspired number with a center front seam, a waistband, big patch pockets, and some sassy little side slits at the hem."


I kept the skirt pretty much the same, instead of shortening it though I kept it the same length and still did the side slits. So I was able to follow most of the directions given in DIY Clothes. I did the patch pockets according to the book's directions, I already had a waistband so that I did not need to draft that. I did not shorten my pattern but I did add a mark to the side seam to let me know where to stop sewing for the side slits. For the button placket I did originally follow Cal's suggestion of no more than 5 inches long but for me that was too short. I was not able to pull the skirt up over my hips with such a small opening. So took out the placket and undid part of the side seam until I was able to get it over my hips. It turns out I needed 7 inches and I had just enough space since my pocket opening starts at that point.
I also kept my welt pocket from the basic skirt pattern.


Sewing up the skirt was pretty much a breeze including the topstitching. But hen it came to the buttonholes that's where I ran into problems as you can see. I used the same needle for the buttonholes that I used for the topstitching, since I was using buttonhole twist for both. This turned out to be a problem, the needle turned out to be too small to handle the thick thread and zigzag stitching together. This gave me a nest of fabric for my first attempt and once I got the thread out it left a very visable mar on the side of my skirt. I'm not going to worry about it too much since I wear my tops out. If it starts to become a problem I may try to add some fusible interfacing to the wrong side to try and strengthen the area a bit.






Quick Info:

  • Mid to heavy weight twill 
  • Self drafted pattern using Design-It Yourself Clothes
  • 5 pattern pieces (front, back, waistband, pocket, button tab)
  • A-line skirt with front patch pockets and side button closing
  • Double turned hem with side vents

A little side note, the top that is pictured with all of the skirts is BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2009-108, I made it the summer of 2009, never reviewed it (not sure why) but it's one of my favorite t-shirt patterns.
Until next time, happy sewing...


2 comments:

JuliN said...

I'm glad this make went more smoothly for you. This skirt looks like it could become a well-worn basic.

Nothy Lane said...

I like this skirt a lot - definitely a wardrobe builder.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails