Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Basics Revisited

Earlier this year I asked over at pr.com about what others consider their wardrobe basics which later turned into a sew along. Most people after  finding what they like to wear and what works for them tend to keep to their own personal style. For me this has been something I have been working with since I started sewing and even a lot more lately since I decided to find my own set of go to patterns that fit and flatter and can make up at least most of my wardrobe.
When I first started out, I had one child and a lot to learn when it came to sewing. The most I had made successfully  before that was some elastic waist skirts that I made in Girl Scouts and some of my hijabs in high school which is very basic beginner stuff. I was learning slowly how to sew and had a good idea of what I wanted but then I started looking to the internet for more to learn, ideas and patterns. That put me on an up and down roller coaster ride of sewing and learning. I would see things that others were sewing up and looked nice on them and thought I could do that or learn to make that, but knew nothing about fitting and my basic sewing techniques still needed a little work. I learned about pattern sales and just would buy every pattern that looked good and for me that was almost everything or something that came out great on someone else, I just ignored my own taste and what I wanted. I became blinded by internet sewing but it also taught me a lot  especially about fitting. Even with all of the fitting books out there they are still limited as to how much they can show you but with sewing forums you get to see a lot more fitting, analyzing, and problem solving at work. Now 11 years and 8 kids later I really feel like I don't have much to show for it. I'm really trying to buckle down and get some basics under my belt. I have made this list several times and have changed and refined a few times but I think I have it down for the most part.

My List

1. Fitted knit top
2.  A-line Maxi skirt 
3.  Skinny Jeans
4. Tunic like top
5. Fitted button down shirt
Skinny Jeans
6. Empire waist maxi dress
7. Denim or Chanel type Jacket
Extras
8. Cardigan
9. Slouchy knit tee
10. Straight leg pant
The ones in red I plan to try and draft myself.

I'm hoping with these I can start building my wardrobe instead of wasting the little bit of sewing time I have with refitting and hoping that it works patterns.
Basic skirt

Basic t-shir

Basic pant

Basic dress
































They only one on this list that I am not keen on getting started on anytime soon is the fitted button down shirt. Finding the space to keep an assortment of buttons and then to shop for them is not easy for me right now but zippers and interfacing are much easier for me. I have patterns already planned  for the ones I'm not drafting. Also this year I'm just going to try and focus on this and not try and fit every contest or sew along into my plan. I want to take my time and enjoy the journey.

Until next time, happy sewing...




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails