Monday, November 21, 2011

Fitting Day 2

I managed to get in another hour and a half today. I was able to finish cutting out all the different sizes and transfer dart markings. But I was only able to sew up the size 12. I made the mistake of sewing it up without a zipper, and I felt like I was going to be stuck in that thing until DH go home. the only place it did fit was in the neck area. The bust and back were both too tight. The waist was surprisingly not that bad even with the waist darts sewn.

 So tonight I'm going to try and stay up and at least sew up a size 14 and see how that compares. I know for sure that I'm going to have to do a FBA, and maybe even a broad back adjustment. Also I'm hoping to be able to make this without a zipper. I want a top that needs no closures. If this one doesn't work I'm going to try Simplicity 2614.

On another note, I just found my book that was apart of my online class at patternreview with the late Shannon Gifford. It was a bodice muslin class, I remember I was not able to fully participate because I was pregnant and I knew that making a muslin of any top would have been useless with my growing belly.
 I took the class anyway because I did not know when it would be offered again, especially since it seemed classes did not repeat that often. I'm glad I did as I don't think it was repeated before she passed away. It was the same for the patternmaking class I waited months for it to be available and I took as soon as it did and I think I was in the last class she taught. While patternreview still has classes I don't think they are of the same level as the ones she taught.
 So I'm also going to through my notes and lessons to help me with fitting my top. I think I may use her lessons more than anything since they are geared towards a bodice and take you step by step.
 Here is my first muslin, I know it looks like its pulling across the front from the darts but its not. I think this will also be the last time I'll purchase black for making muslins. I can't write on it and I keep them for future reference and without me being to tell the pattern and size its useless later on.

Until next time happy sewing...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails